Cowan First Baptist Church
Thursday, December 14, 2017
a great place to belong.......
 

History of

 Cowan First Baptist Church

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The First Baptist Church of Cowan, Tennessee, has no accurate written record of its founding, but one of the members recalls that the church started soon after a state evangelist had conducted a revival in Cowan, late in 1906. A more recent book of minutes indicates that the church started its first records on May 16, 1906.
 

According to a state missions report, a state missionary and church builder directed the construction of the first frame building in 1907.

The Church entered the association on August 22, 1907.

Late in 1926, the frame building burned, and the members built the a brick auditorium and its classroom space in 1927. The twenty year old church had 125 members at this time.

In 1942, the church built a pastorium on the lot just behind the auditorium. In 1954-1955, the church built a two-story educational building which was dedicated in June, 1955.

In August 1956, the church sponsored a tent revival in the Midway Community at Sewanee. Immediately following the revival, a mission was established. The church bought a lot that helped the members at Midway construct a building for their services.

In the summer of 1960, the church purchased the property adjoining the church on Montgomery Street and had the house on the lot razed. The lot became a parking area and the materials from the house were used to enlarge the facilities at Midway Chapel.

On the 12th day of January, 1968, a remodeling and redecorating program began which included an addition to the pastorium and remodeling of the sanctuary. This work was completed the first part of April, 1968.

During a remodeling effort in 1978, the inside of the sanctuary was destroyed by fire and subsequently rebuilt.

April 4, 2004, ushered in a new era in the life of Cowan First Baptist as it was relocated to 316 W. Cumberland St. There a 17,000+ square-foot facility was erected and completed through the selfless dedication of countless church members, deacons, the pastor, and community members. The beautiful new facility, with its stone work and stained glass windows and situated with the Cumberland Mountains as a backdrop, is only a building. The real church is the people, called together as a body of believers to worship and serve the true and living God.